Old 16-07-2003, 06:03 AM
Patty Winter

Default Can I move Rhododendrons in the Summer???

In article ,
Bill Spohn wrote:

Up here in the Pacific Northwest (a rather Americo-centric term, as for those
of us in Canada, it is really our Pacific Southwest), we can transplant right
into the summer as long as we don't stick the poor plant in the full sun, where
as Steve points out, you may either give it too little water, in which case it
will die, or too much water, in which case it will get root rot - and then die.

I just got a couple of rhodies this spring. They're in half wine barrels
with a special rhododendron potting mixture. I'm in the SF Bay Area, and
they're on the north side of my house, so they only get direct sun in the
late afternoon. Should I continue watering them every day in hot weather,
or ease up a bit to reduce the risk of root rot? Since they aren't
established in their new homes yet, I don't want to underwater them.

Patty