Old 16-07-2003, 06:13 AM
Kirra

Default Let's Talk About Mulch

Theo Asir wrote:
Rodents are always digging under the mulch but
the neighbhorhood Siamese has taken a shine
to scaring them. I've seen him patiently stalk
voles from hole to hole. He can hear their
ground vibrations appaently.

I currently use lucerne mulch immediately around the roses and then sugar
cane mulch for the remainder of the bed. We have a blue tongue lizard that
has set up his winter home in the sugar cane mulch. If you pass by the bed
in the late afternoon, he can be seen partly out of his home sunning
himself - but retreats back if you go too close.

I currently use sugar cane for the majority of mulching because it was
available at a reasonable price from the hardware store while the lucerne
was in small packs from a pet store at a much dearer price. However I found
out recently that I may have a wholesale source for buying lucerne from my
father's neighbour who grows it. We are hoping that we can 'volunteer' our
services in sweeping out/cleaning the shed in return for keeping whatever we
can sweep up

Kirra