Old 16-07-2003, 07:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Sick Lotus brown leaves

I looked at pics and I noticed you've got some uniform die back, in that
the body goes first than the veins of the leaf? This could be anything from
roundup or 2-4D over spray or nutrition, more likely it's nutritional, not
because they don't have enough fertilizer, but they can't utilize it due to
a high pH. If your pH isn't high (under 8.5) look for fertilizer tabs that
include iron and magnesium.

My lotus were not doing too well at first either, my lilypond was up in the
pH 9+s. I added acid to bring it down and always put a cup of diluted acid
right over (not on the leaves) the pot of the lotus. Now I have aerials, 7
buds with 3 of them open. So check your pH. ~ jan

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:39:36 GMT, "jrock64" wrote:

H E L P ! !
My lotus leaves are turning brown about 3 days after they reach the surface.
No Ariels yet. About 3 inches across.

Started with tubers 3/4 by 4 inches.
Chawna Basu and Chineese Double Rose.

Planted in sand and kitty litter in a 8 gallon tub 16 in across.

approx 6 in below water surface
Full sun from 11am to 6pm

Last fertilized with one tomato spike(3/4 x 1.5) about a week ago. Pots
were started with 3 spikes each about mid May

Useing 2 Tbsp muriate of potash every other week in 2000 gal pond.

Photos are at the end of the pond album.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/jrock64rose

Pond is clear. Lillys are blooming. Even have 1 1/2 in baby
commet/fan/subunkin/fish. Lotus are dieing.

Can you burn a lotus with too much fertilizer. Spikes were stuck way on the
side of the pots.

JRock64

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/