Old 16-07-2003, 07:32 AM
madgardener

Default Grass from HELL

it's crabgrass. It likes poor packed soil and if you were to topdress your
lawn and fertilize it, and not cut your good grass lower than three inches,
your good grass will choke it out. By cutting the grass too short actually
allows crabgrass to get a better hold on the soil as it has more ground to
estabilish. spot treating with herbacide would do like RoundUp as it breaks
down once applied to individual clumps, or wetting the area down and pulling
it up, then put rich topsoil in the spots and seed with a good grass to
reclaim the area. At least you don't have the insidious Johnson's
grass...........madgardener

"John DeBoo" wrote in message
I've got some sort of broad leaf grass that has moved into my garden
from God only knows where. Its bad enough that I have to live with
my neighbors @#$&*&^&* Chinese Elms coming up everywhere, but now
this grass. As I said, its broadleaf, has a root system that goes
way down even for tiny growth above ground making it impossible to
puill out unless the ground is very wet. When it comes up it
typically unfurls the leafs(blades) and lays flat on the ground. It
does not send out feelers that reroot from the stems but sends
several blades out. Any idea what type it is?