Old 16-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default How do I avoid algae in a tank ?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:07:04 -0500, mark wrote:

I haven't had a lot of live plants in my tanks, esp. with Malawi
cichlids, but when I have had live plants, I had very few problems with
algae. I assumed this was because the plants were using up the nutrients
and leaving nothing for the algae.
Am I mistaken on that point?

Well, I would guess that malawi cichlids eat lots of food, and
therefore produce lots of waste. And I'd bet that the tank didn't
have really high lighting. So I'd doubt the plants really did consume
all the nutrients.

I would probably bet that the tank just had low enough lighting to
avoid algae, and still keep lower-light plants alive.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua