Old 16-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Andy Spragg

Default Butterflies

Malcolm pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:23:45 +0100, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ In article , Aileen
^ Howard writes

^ We have a large Buddleia which is flowering profusely, and which doesn't
^ appear to attract butterflies at all. Bees love it, but since it's common
^ name is 'butterfly bush' - I am wondering why this is? Can anyone tell me
^ please?
^
^ It's called the butterfly bush because butterflies love it! However,
^ there are many different kinds and some seem to have more nectar that
^ butterflies like than others. We've got two different ones and one is
^ much more popular with butterflies than the other, while bees use them
^ both.

I'd bet yours is the light mauvey version rather than the dark purple
version. We had one of each in our garden when I was a lad and I
always noticed that the dark purple version was much more popular.

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."