Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
shannie

Default harvesting rhubarb

"David P" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
We planted some rhubarb in April of this year, it sat there and did

nothing
until about two weeks ago, now it's enormous..the plant is about 2ft

high
and the leaves are huge, the stalks look lovely and we'd really like to

eat
them but I have been reading that

1)....you must wait at least 12 - 18mths after planting before eating.

and
2)....you mustn't eat rhubarb after July.

To both the above why? and to #2 is that after the begining or end of

July?

If we cannot eat it should we at least take some of the leaves and

stalks
away, there is lots of new growth underneath and Im wondering if the new
forming leaves need more light.

I'd be inclined to leave it completely this year - that way it can build
itself up into a healthy root for next year.

Younger stems are more tender and tasty. Older ones get stringy and
tarter. But it is personal preference - so much so that I hardly ever
eat unforced rhubarb.

Thanks David,
We harvested a little bit. I didn't like it, it was waaaaayyyyy too tart for
me, but my partner was in raptures, as you say it's a personal preference.
Was nice to be able to try it at least

Shan

--
David