Old 17-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Iain Miller

Default Holidays

"max" wrote in message
Our holidays next month will see us away for 4 weeks.
Currently my pump is running 24/7 with daily filter cleaning & the 20+

fish
also feeding daily.
Will the pond & more importantly the fish survive this period of neglect ?
Should I leave the pump running or not ?
Should I get a friend to feed the fish or will they be ok ?
Help !!

If your filter really needs to be cleaned every day then I would take a big
step back & consider the design of your filtration.There is no way you
should have to put in that much maintenance. EIther your pond is madly
overstocked or your filter is badly undersized - either way you do not
really have an established "eco-system" if you can't leave it for 4 weeks!

Also you'll be surprised at how long your fish can go without being fed.
They'll scavenge for food & eat bugs etc quite happily. There are some folks
who never feed the fish in their ponds....

I.