Old 17-07-2003, 02:14 AM
V_coerulea

Default Converting from grass to something else

Depends on where you live and what grass you're talking about. If you're in
the south, I doubt the paper method will take care of bermuda, bahia,
johnson or even zoysia grasses as these can form long and/or powerful
stolons and growth tips. I've even seen them come up through asphalt. I've
seen bahia survive 2 shots of roundup and being turned 8" under. It might
take care of centipede, fescue and some of the other milder perennial
grasses like bluegrass. Quackgrass and nutsedge are 2 more I doubt the paper
will hit hard enough to kill. I'd use roundup and cover with black plastic
for a week or two if I wanted a scortched-earth effect. Plant a couple of
days after removing the plastic.
Gary

"GaryM" wrote in message
. 3.44...
To covert a grass bank to other ground cover plant I have heard that
you can mow the lawn short, lay newspaper over the area and mulch it.
This is opposed to using something like Round Up to kill the grass. IS
this an accepted method and if so how long before you can plant the
zone?