Old 17-07-2003, 03:47 AM
RichToyBox

Default New Fish

It is a very good idea to have a quarantine system, and the more expensive
the fish in your pond the more important it becomes, but...
More fish are killed in quarantine than are cured, because the quarantine
system has poorer water than the pond. A working filter is a must to keep
the ammonia and nitrites down. Too many people keep a small quarantine tank
in the garage, with no water, no filter, and fire it up when they get new
fish. It has to go through the cycle, if they fire up a filter, and because
of the small size it becomes very toxic, very quickly. The quarantine
system should have better water in it than the water in the pond. You are
trying to get them over the stress of catching, bagging, transporting, etc.,
and they need good water for that. The quarantine system allows for
treatment of fish in a small amount of water so that you are not having to
buy chemicals to treat the big pond. It also does not have all the plant
pots, and other obstructions that hinder catching. You can observe the fish
to see that nothing is wrong much easier, also.
--
RichToyBox

"FBCS" wrote in message
Do you put a pump and filter in this 100 gal rubermaid (newbe here trying

learn). I normally just put them in the pond after a half hour in the

water
bagged. Joann
wrote in message
tsk, tsk ... no quarantine? you gotta get a 100 gallon rubbermaid and

have it always
set up waiting for this kind of contingency. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

My bro-in-law has a friend that is moving, and is adopting her fish

out,
guess because she does not trust the new owners. He brought some over

for
me
yesterday. They were in a bucket and all were gasping. I grabbed a 33

gallon
rubbermaid, and filled it with pond water, and we moved them over. They
immediately relaxed. My water is well aerated, so I assume this was a

big
help to them.

I took a few out and examined them. All seemed healthy to the eye.

Scales
had nice coloring, and none were missing nor damaged. All fins were

intact,
and undamaged. No sins of parasites, nor ich. The gill areas seemed

clean
and healthy. I did not peer inside the gills as I was not sure how to

do
this safely. The few that he gave me are now in my pond, and swimming
happily. One GF is nearly the size of a football!!! I have never seen a

GF
so big. The others have now begun following him around the pond. The

Koi
looked p*ssed and are sulking in the corner.

I also got some water lettuce from them. What an awesome looking plant!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.