Old 17-07-2003, 05:09 AM
Justin Henry

Default Summer Squash: Stem borers and fertilization.

I noticed that large chunks of my summer crookneck squash plants were dying
because their stems seemed to have been shredded by some pest. Reading says
that it's stem borers laying their eggs in there. Anyone have experience
with this? Suggested cure is to pile more soil around lowest part of the
stems to about 6".

Also, does anyone know how I can increase the fertilization percentage? I've
had about 100 flowers that have amounted to nothing and only a few actual
veggies come from these plants. Quite disappointing, considering their
amazing growth rate.

-Justin