Old 17-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Martin Jensen

Default Raspberry Vigor

Black raspberries should be pruned during their growing year. Black raspberries
fruit on year old canes. While these new canes are growing the year before they
fruit they should be pruned to about 3 - 5 feet tall. Black raspberries fruit
on the lateral branches and therefore the pruning should cut of the the top of
the cane to promote the growth of the lateral branches. I started this a couple
of years ago and it really made a difference in the size and quality. It
actually made the black raspberries worth keeping.

Marty

On 7/15/2003 8:44 AM, Ken Anderson wrote:
My Jewell black raspberries are now in their third year, and quite simply,
the quality of the berries sucks. Small and unfilled. Did I start out with
diseased stock? Any way to turn these around? These are YEARS I'm wasting
here. My plan so far is to destroy these and plant red or gold. I have first
year Killarneys that look great. Thanks.
Ken A.