Old 17-07-2003, 01:52 PM
GD

Default Cloudy water

It is not the calcium or magnesium that serves to buffer pH.
Carbonates and bicarbonates often associated with these metals are the
"culprits". Soft waters (those with low amounts of calcium and/or
magnesium {carbonates}) with high pH are not all that uncommon from
wells, especially deep wells in the southern U.S. Sodium bicarbonate
is usually the cause.

Benefits from using lime to increase hardness at high pH are
questionable. The problem: lime does not dissolve at high pH, and
thus calcium will not become biologically available.

wrote:

wowoow... I am surprised you got naturally soft water and a pH that high. I guess I
dont understand what is happening to your water. naturally soft is usually below 7.0
GF like more hardness in the water and calcium and magnesium create a buffer that
resists changes in pH. big swings of pH are not good for GF.
no.. it is not the pellets for using on the lawn. walmart used to carry organic
dolomitic lime white with flecks of darker material. well water is not always
perfect as is. Ingrid

"FBCS" wrote:

Checked readings at 10am all the same. I guess my PH is staying high I added
a little water. I don't understand how lime (is this the pellets used on
the lawn) will help or why I would want hard water. I thought I was blessed
with well water by not having to add so much chemical and having to be
concerned about clorine.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com