Old 17-07-2003, 02:22 PM
BenignVanilla

Default solar powered ponds?

"Brian" wrote in message
snip
One thing that I would love to do, and I'm surprised that I haven't

seen
others doing it, is to power a pond solely with solar power. It seems

like
that solution is the most in touch with improving our environment. Yet I
haven't seen any of the pond supply people selling solar powered items,

with
the exception of very small fountains and the like. Why don't more people
use solar power? Is it prohibitively expensive, or simply inadequate for
the power demands of most pond systems? I would love to hear if anyone is
using solar power and how they have things set up.

snip

In short, yes. Solar power is still very expensive. To get the needed juice
for a typical pump, you would need a roof full of solar panels. Check out a
solar landscaping light sometime. I have two, and by morning, the lights are
out. Small panels just don't make enough juice.

BV.

P.S. I hope my explanation was over everyone's head. I know I used a bunch
of technical lingo.