Old 17-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Druss

Default Mandrake, Mandragora Officionalis, Germination

Hmm apologies to anyone who thought I might have been serious to suggest
Officionalis as being an EU designation. ;-)
Duncan

"Druss" wrote in message
Excellent, well mine was a very nice dark green leaf, with very slightly
crinkled edges, but it was also labelled up as the Officionalis, (that's
really quite a silly name tho isn't it. Does it really translate as "The
Official Mandrake", and if so are the EU going to be clamping down on the
Mandragora Conterfeitus ?), Mind you it did come from a herb farm and I

have
seen other plants mislabelled there before so wouldn't be that surprised

if
it wasn't exactly the right species.
Duncan

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:15:15 +0100, Druss wrote:

Interesting note about the ortting off and forming a callus. I assume

it's
the european mandrka eyou are growing and not the strange American

Mandrake
plant which appears to be somewhat different ?

Yep, genu-wine Mandragora officinalis -- though one is different,
has leaves of a grayish-metallic cast. I wish I had a handy
reference to sort out the various names under Mandragora. I think
the single odd plant I have may be the veritable M. officinalis
and the rest (with rumpled green leaves) may be M. vernalis. They
all flower at about the same time.

I don't remember what genus the "American mandrake" is, but it
isn't Mandragora.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada