Old 17-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Ken Anderson

Default Raspberry Vigor

"Martin Jensen" wrote in message
Black raspberries should be pruned during their growing year. Black

raspberries
fruit on year old canes. While these new canes are growing the year

before they
fruit they should be pruned to about 3 - 5 feet tall. Black raspberries

fruit
on the lateral branches and therefore the pruning should cut of the the

top of
the cane to promote the growth of the lateral branches. I started this a

couple
of years ago and it really made a difference in the size and quality. It
actually made the black raspberries worth keeping.

Marty

Thank you all. I've been pretty stringent with the pruning regimen, so I
don't think that's my problem. I just sent an email to our county
agricultural extension agent. If he points me in the right direction, and I
get some good info, I'll post back. Incidently, my red Killarneys, which are
in their first year, are producing a handful of berries and they're HUGE!
Can't wait till next year!
Ken A.