Old 17-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Pepper fruit size

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:19:18 GMT, troikette
wrote:

I've been growing sweet peppers this year and didn't expect any fruit
because I was just experimenting, but low and behold, the plants have
fruited.

I know they should be taken off and left to ripen like tomatoes, but I
don't know when to take them off. At the moment they are just over an
inch high and shiny green.

No no. They will NOT ripen off the plant like tomatoes.
Anyway, tomatoes are much better left on the vines to ripen
unless you are expecting a killing frost.

Can anyone tell me how big they should be when I take them off?

Peppers will eventually ripen on the plant, and turn color
to red, or yellow, or orange - whatever. They are much
sweeter and nicer then.

However, sometimes they will mold or incur insect damage
before they ripen. And your season may not be long enough
for them to ripen on the plant. (I don't know where you
are, although I assume the UK from your address.)

They are often picked green and can be eaten green as well.
I wait until green peppers are about the size of the ones in
supermarkets before I pick them green. I leave some on the
plants to ripen.

I'm hedging my bets this way: picking some green and
leaving some to ripen.

Pat