Old 17-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Raleighgirl

Default Summer Squash: Stem borers and fertilization.

"MT Byers" wrote in message
. com...
| as far as the other problem is concerned is pollination...now
you have to
| check wether you have male or female flowers....the male
flowers have what
| looks like a mini squash on the end of the flower, if it does
NOT have the
| mini squash then it is a female flower and those DO NOT
produce squash, so
| if you have a whole bunch of female flowers, which the first
blush of blooms
| generally are female, then pick those and eat them (fried are
my favorite
| way) or just in a salad. If the males are also dropping off
then they are
| not being pollinated, pick a female flower and brush it
around the male.

| With respect to the Tomatolord, one would need to transpose all
of the
| "female" references with the "male" references to have an
accurate
| statement of the facts here; otherwise, it's bang on!
| Thus, one just takes a squashless male flower and dusts it
around the
| females. Sometimes we need to do the bees' job for them!
|
| MT

Justin,
It won't help this year but in the future plant flowers in
amongst your veggies. This will help to attract bees and other
pollinators to your veggie plants. Do not use sevin or other
types of insecticides on your veggies because the chemicals kill
the good guys with the bad ones.

The squash vine borers are a real problem here. We are usually
sick of squash by the time the plant croaks. We pull that one up
and plant seeds for more. Usually we can get in a second bumper
crop before cooler weather.

HTH,
Jeny