Old 17-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Ted Byers

Default What is that smell?

It is a pleasant smell, but it is driving me nuts anyway because I can't
figure out where it is coming from. I have four catts and a dend on the
sill of an east facing window. They are doing marvelously, BTW, with plenty
of new growth, and all are seedlings that have never bloomed before. One of
these is presently in sheath right now, so that will be my first experience
with a first bloom seedling, provided it doesn't blast on me. Anyway, every
time I pass by this window (which turns out to be several times a day
throughout the day), I am greted with a very pleasant, sweet scent quite
unlike anything I have smelled before. What is driving me nuts is that I
can't figure out where the scent is coming from. I can't tell which of the
plants is responsible, or even if the scent is coming from one of the plants
(though being able to smell it only close to the plants makes it highly
likely that it is coming from one or more of the plants). The scent is
quite faint, being detectable only within a half a metre of the plants, but
if this is typical of some catts and/or dends, it would be worth while to
have a room full of them even when they are not in bloom!

What is even more intriguing is that, while I have had these plants from a
minimum of four months to a maximum of 9 months, I only noticed this scent
in the past week (actually in about the same time frame as I first noticed
the sheath on the one little catt, but I have no idea if the two are
connected).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ted