Old 25-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Frogleg

Default Growing greens indoors

On 24 Jan 2003 22:22:27 GMT, (JTULL5) wrote:

I'm think about growing lettuce / greens in my basement near the small basement
window. This window faces south, so gets lots of light.

"Lots of light" is a relative term. I am, I guess, a light Nazi. Very
little direct sunlight that comes in a window lasts more than a few
hours. After years of trying to grow plants outdoors in less than
optimal light conditions (and raising straggly seedlings on
windowsills), I reached the conclusion that there's nothing like a big
open field with dawn-to-dusk sun. Even cool-weather crops like
lettuces like sun. You may be able to grow greens with supplemental
(artificial) lighting arrangements. It can't hurt to try. :-)