Old 17-07-2003, 05:59 PM
John Hines

Default upgrading a swimming hole in a creek I need need info

(mark delaporte) wrote:

I own a piece of property that has a large creek passing through it
and it currently has a shallow swimming spot by the shore. The creek
is to wide to dam it all the way accross and I am wondering what the
best way to deepen it might be. If at all possible I would like to
avoid heavy duty earth moving equipment like an exgavator, and find a
less invasive solution. Does anyone have suggestions or recomended
sources for more info. Thanks

Local dept of resources? see what the requirements are?

Depending on the size and area, any one from the local county up to the
US army (core of eng).

I saw a similar setup once, they had built a dam out of like 4-6" rock,
a couple of feet high, which held back the stream to create a small
pond, but not enough to cause flooding problems, since this carries a
lot of storm water runoff. You sure wouldn't want to find out by
flooding out your neighbors a few years down the road!

Talk about improving the wetlands and water retention for better
wildlife habitat and the like, and the local authority may even be
willing to help, at least with some info. In some areas, they trade off
credits for this, you improve your wetlands, and someone else doesn't
have to.