Old 17-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Bob White

Default Do Theories Have to be Testable to be Scientific?

"Lawson English" wrote in message
"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
"Steve Harris" wrote:

Unless of course it contains time machines, FTL drives,
force-field "shields", antigravity, Wesley Crusher, or
workable libertarian utopias. Then it's okay to laugh all
you like. g.

There is one type of force-field "shield" that is possible. It is a
magnetic field that can shield a ship or station against certain types
of radiation (charged particles only).
--

Actually, there is already a force field in use that acts as an air valve
(plasma valve).

I see no reason why you couldn't create such shields of any arbitrary

power
(e.g., Star Trek's deflector shields), except, of course, that the power
requirements would be beyond insane.

That used to be said concerning computing power. Now I can carry the
portable equivalent of a UNIVAC to my seat on the airplane in my knapsack
(with wireless networking and a nice color LCD monitor built in).

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/univac/case1107.html