Old 17-07-2003, 07:02 PM
K30a

Default solar powered ponds?

jj has a solar powered pump on her lily pond.
Any cloud that passes the sun slooooooows the pump down. But we have tons of
sunshine here. Rain is greeted with awe and suspicion.

Most ponders run their pumps 24/7.
They use them for their bio-filter and the constant water movement keeps the
benefical bacteria alive.
They also use them to add oxygen into the water at night when the plants
consume oxygen instead of make it like they do during the day.

That all said.
I run one pond without a pump. It is a still pond. It is full of plants, in
full sun and can support a couple of fish (no fish in there right now). It gets
hit by the sprinkler every night so stagnant water isn't a problem. It has
stayed crystal clear for about four years now. I treat it with Mosquito Bits
when I don't have fish in it.

k30a