Old 17-07-2003, 07:52 PM

Default New Fish

ABSOLUTELY. quarantine tanks should be as big as possible. mostly people stick sick
GF into 10 gallon "hospital" tank, I tell em to use a 40 gallon tub instead. But I
have had good luck with a 100 gallon stock tank, net, a 5 gallon bucket filter and
good aeration. I put it in the shade. anyone with well water can do a run thru
system, just drip water in one side, make a small hole on the other end (up high).
Ingrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:
It is a very good idea to have a quarantine system, and the more expensive
the fish in your pond the more important it becomes, but...
More fish are killed in quarantine than are cured, because the quarantine
system has poorer water than the pond. A working filter is a must to keep
the ammonia and nitrites down. Too many people keep a small quarantine tank
in the garage, with no water, no filter, and fire it up when they get new
fish. It has to go through the cycle, if they fire up a filter, and because
of the small size it becomes very toxic, very quickly. The quarantine
system should have better water in it than the water in the pond. You are
trying to get them over the stress of catching, bagging, transporting, etc.,
and they need good water for that. The quarantine system allows for
treatment of fish in a small amount of water so that you are not having to
buy chemicals to treat the big pond. It also does not have all the plant
pots, and other obstructions that hinder catching. You can observe the fish
to see that nothing is wrong much easier, also.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.