Old 17-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Colin

Default PH, KH, CO2 interactivity

Sounds absolutely fine to me - almost exactly the parameters I had (though
you have more light), and I add roughly half a teaspoon of baking soda with
the water change (40% odd weekly) to bring the KH up to 4.5-5, and then CO2
to bring the pH back down to 6.7 or so.

Might be worth two smaller CO2 reactors changed on alternate weeks to
stabilize the CO2 output - I got too much variation on my 46G with one
bottle. In the end I gave up and bought pressurized instead - far easier,
I've not touched it in months...

Colin

"Jason" wrote in message
.com...
I am going to start injecting CO2 and wanted to make sure that I don't

mess
anything up too bad. I plan on doing this with a 1 gallon DIY CO2 reactor.

I have a 50 gal (48x15x16) tank with the following parameters
120w of NO fluorescent
PH 7.5
KH 2
I think this gives me a CO2 level of about 2.5-3 ppm.

My question is should I raise the KH before injecting CO2. I plan on

raising
the KH with baking soda. I think I understand the relationship between

these
properties but would like to make sure. From my understanding if I raise

the
KH to 4 it will bring the PH up to around ~8. And then injecting CO2 will
bring it back down.

Not sure if it is important but tank inhabitants are

4 neon tetras
3 glolite tetras
6 black mollies
6 white cloud danios
2 bronze cories
2 candy tetras
1 male betta
1 common pleco

7 apongeton plants growing from bulbs, not very big yet
dwarf grass
1 red melon sword
5 stem plants

I plan on adding some java fern, java moss and maybe some Amazon swords.

I can post pictures of what I have in the binaries if it will help.