Old 25-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Growing greens indoors

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:43:15 -0500, Jim Carter
wrote:

On 24 Jan 2003 22:22:27 GMT, (JTULL5) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

I'm think about growing lettuce / greens in my basement near the small basement
window. This window faces south, so gets lots of light. I was going to hang a
small platform from the ceiling in front of this window, and put the pots or
flats on this platform, so the lettuce should get as much light as this window
can offer.

The basement is unheated and usually about 50 to 60 degrees.

Do you think this will work?

I don't know if a *basement* window will get enough sun -
even facing south. Can you hang a fluorescent light to
supplement the sunshine? A cheap ordinary 'shoplight' will
do fine, you don't need an expensive 'grow light' to grow
green leafy plants. (Reference: my personal experience.)

As far as the temperature goes, most lettuce I've grown
likes cool weather - the temperature should be fine for the
lettuce.

Pat
--
Pat Meadows