Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
James Ervin

Default costs of buying/maintaining a tank

On Sun, 04 May 2003 18:53:53 GMT, "Christopher" wrote:

be paying. Please reply with your info, I'll post a detailed itemization
later.

My main tank is a 120 that I scored off a fellow that had to move.
$500.00 ready to run. I added a wet dry and a PC light for about $200
more.

I started a plant tank for my daughter to have a "community tank" in
and had to spend $200 for the tank. I was given a decent ballast and
a CO2 system from a friend that had gone to african's from planted
tanks. I built the hood and spent about $160 for plants and fish. I
spent another $150 on enough chemicals to make the PMDD for a small
county of aquarists.

I recently bought some high end test equipment from Hach and that was
a lot.

The key for me has been two things:

1. Purchase equipment that will last the rest of your life. I have
some Ocean Clear canister filters that will still be going when I am
not.
2. Associate with a group of people and share cast off equipment
(give and take).

Take the stick in the eye out to reply.