Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM
LeighMo

Default phosphates too high, need advice

Have you tested your tapwater?

I have 40 ppm of phosphate in my tap water. (The water company uses it an an
anticorrosive, to protect their pipes.)

It's never caused me any algae trouble, in a planted or unplanted tank. In
fact, I'm glad they put phosphate in the water. It spares me the embarrassment
of buying Fleet enemas. :-)

You have a lot of light over your tank. I hope you have a compressed CO2
system. Do you know what your pH and KH are? You will be fighting constant
algae battles if you don't get enough CO2 injected.

And do you know your nitrate levels? IMO, a nitrate test kit is much more
useful than a phosphate test kit.

I would not waste money on phosphate absorbers and such. They are not
necessary, and I bet they won't fix your problem.

Leigh