Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM
SlimFlem

Default phosphates too high, need advice

"Rex Grigg" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 06 May 2003 01:28:46 GMT, "SlimFlem"
wrote:

Well to start with you have a lot of light over the tank. As has been
suggested have you tested your nitrates? I also think you water
change schedule is seriously lacking. I do weekly 50% water changes
on my high light tanks. You are only doing 10 gallons a week. You
should be doing more along the lines of 35-40 gallons a week. What
bulbs do you have in your lights? Are they the standard 50/50 bulbs
that come with Coralife fixtures?

6500K (2) 10000K (2)

How much, how often, and what are
you feeding your fish?

i feed once per day. i rotate between frozen brine and bloodworms, and
tetra flake and pellets

How many fish do you have in the tank?

2 large Angelfish (about 7 inches from top to bottom)
6 Clown Loaches ( all about middle finger size)
2 Rainbowfish (both about 4 inches)
6 Serpae
5 Red Eye
7 Zebra Danio
3 Otto
1 Whiptail Catfish

Do you
know what your tap water phosphates level is?

The phosphates from my sink do not register. However, the phosphates in my
tank still read off the chart. I am now confused. What would could them to
go so high in my tank. I don't add anything to the tank besides what I have
stated here.

For as much light as you have over the tank your fertilizing regime
really sucks. With this much light over the tank you really should be
dosing nitrates, potassium, phosphates (unless your tap water is high
in phosphates), iron, and traces.

Also, I used to fertilize more heavily, but my plants were doing great so I
cut it back a little. The plants I have, all Sag and Val are doing really
good. There is only a very small amount of hair algea on some of them, not
all. The hair algea is primarily on the root wood, and some rocks and a few
tuffs growing in the Florite.

You have fallen for a common
mistake of placing a lot of light over a tank and thinking you are
done. High light tanks require a lot of work. Do you have CO2
injection? With this light level CO2 injection is not a luxury it's a
requirement. And DIY CO2 is not going to cut it.

I was using DIY CO2, but after i had a herniated disc in my back about 2
months ago, I no longer am doing this since I can't really bend so much
right now to get under the tank and set them up. I live by myself.

If you will post
your pH, kH, gH, and nitrate levels we will be able to give you more
help. Algae growth is the symptom of something wrong with your tank,
you need to treat the problem and not the symptom

pH = slightly above 7.0, not much, just barely
kH = 2
gH = 5
NO2 = 0.3 mg/l
NO3 = less than 10ppm

And believe me, I want to treat the problem, not the symptom. Thanks for
the assistance.

Hi,

I have a 75 gallon planted tank and have recently started getting green

hair
algea growing on some plants and on some rocks. My plants are doing

great.
I have a Coralife compact flour light 4 x 65 I think it is. Well, I

bought
a Tetra Phosphate test kit and the blue is so dark it's off the scale. I
don't understand this. I do 2 water changes a week. Each one is about 5
gallons. I use some of the Florish products weekly. for filters i have

an
Eheim Pro canister and a Magnum 350 that I use to run different filter

media
in. I usually use Purigen. I get good effects from it. The only other
thing I have used is some stuff called "Instant Amazon". It says it

doesn't
support algea growth, but I am starting to think otherwise. I have

stopped
using it until I stop the algea. Oh yeah, my lights are on timers and I

had
the lights running about 13 hours a day. I know that is probably too

much.
I have reset the timers to about 10 hours a day. How does that sound?

Why do you think my phosphates are up? I did about a 20% water change

today
with water that airated overnight, but the phosphate levels still read as
high. Do you think the reading could be false? I also have a SeaChem

PO4
test kit. I take a test with that one and see what it indicates.

thanks for any advice and reading all my questions.

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com