Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM
SlimFlem

Default phosphates too high, need advice

LeighMo, so you are saying since I match at the lowest testable level on my
Nitrite test, I have too much Nitrite?...so any measureable amount of
Nitrite is bad?? I thought my Eheim 2028 with 2 trays of ceramic and 1 tray
of efimech would supply more than enough bio life for the tank. what are
your thoughts? i will add some more plants. I like the open look and lots
of free swimming room for the fish, but i know it does need a few more.

I have a couple of options for reducing the light. I can either:

1) turn off 2 of the 65w bulbs
2) leave both on, but reduce the number of hours
3) reduce the amount of time the second set of lights comes on

what would be best? i know my Vals and Sags will slow their growth way down
if they don't get lots of light. Maybe it's best to leave both sets of
lights coming on, but reduce the number of hours. Opinions? i have reset
my timers for about 9.5 - 10 hours instead of the 12.5 - 13 it was on when
the DIY CO2 was going. I really didn't like the whole DIY difusser thing in
the tank and dealing with the yeast. Can a compressed system be kept to
look decent and not have a bunch of bulky crap in the tank? does anyone
have pictures of their compressed setups?

thanks.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I was using DIY CO2, but after i had a herniated disc in my back about 2
months ago, I no longer am doing this since I can't really bend so much
right now to get under the tank and set them up. I live by myself.

You have too much light over your tank to do without CO2 injection. If

you
can't inject CO2, reduce your lighting. Otherwise, you'll be battling

algae
constantly. Try to get your lighting to around 2 wpg, if you can't inject

CO2.

The phosphate is probably coming from the fish food. You've got

measurable
nitrite in your tank. That means your biological filter is overloaded.

Your tank is lovely, but it also looks a little scant on plants. Adding

more
plants will "crowd out" the algae, and also help reduce nitrite and

phosphate.

I have a 75 gallon tank with slightly less light than you, and compressed

CO2.
I change 30%-50% of the water each week. And I have compressed CO2. (A

75
gallon tank is a bit large for DIY CO2.)

I use a Python, and it's probably the best money I ever spent. Don't

worry
about treating the water. You can do it in the tank. Dechlorinator works
instantly. You can add it before you start adding water back in, if

you're
really worried.

Leigh