Old 17-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Dave Millman

Default thinking about getting baby's tears...any suggestions?

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

Since I have a small 15 gallon to work with, I'm thinking of replacing my
hygrophelias. I don't like the constant shedding of the leaves and straggly
bottoms. I would prefer more of a bushy plant that grows many leaves all
along the stems...I've been doing some research on Baby's Tears. I'm
beginning to like what I see...it seems both appropriate for the small and
large aquascapes. Any opinions or tips on these guys?

It is a fast growing plant that can be grown vertically or horizontally along
the substrate. The horizontal aspect is possible because virtually every node
sprouts a root. You can actually get a very pretty ground cover going with this
if you like. It is one of the few stem plants which you can trim like a
hedge-it is not necessary to remove the bottoms and replant the tops.

It will also grow so fast that it will suck all the nutrients out of the water
if you let it go without pruning. I started with six short stems and ended up 8
weeks later with a mass the size of a football (no exageration). I prefer lower
maintenance plants.