Old 17-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default thinking about getting baby's tears...any suggestions?

Wow...that's cool. Prune like a hedge, that's what I want! Every node
sprouting roots is also good...sounds a bit like the ludwigia.

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

Since I have a small 15 gallon to work with, I'm thinking of replacing

my
hygrophelias. I don't like the constant shedding of the leaves and

straggly
bottoms. I would prefer more of a bushy plant that grows many leaves all
along the stems...I've been doing some research on Baby's Tears. I'm
beginning to like what I see...it seems both appropriate for the small

and
large aquascapes. Any opinions or tips on these guys?

It is a fast growing plant that can be grown vertically or horizontally

along
the substrate. The horizontal aspect is possible because virtually every

node
sprouts a root. You can actually get a very pretty ground cover going with

this
if you like. It is one of the few stem plants which you can trim like a
hedge-it is not necessary to remove the bottoms and replant the tops.

It will also grow so fast that it will suck all the nutrients out of the

water
if you let it go without pruning. I started with six short stems and ended

up 8
weeks later with a mass the size of a football (no exageration). I prefer

lower
maintenance plants.