Old 17-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Summer Squash: Stem borers and fertilization.

Justin,

It may be too late for this year to save these particular squash plants, but
posters have offered good tips for next year. Also, you might think about
buying some "floating row cover" (Reemay is one brand) to put over the
squash plants (next year) so that the borers can't lay eggs in the first
place; if I'd been thinking this spring, I would have used some Reemay to
cover the plants. (OTOH, you need to let the bees get in to pollinate.)I'm
sure the tip about piling dirt over the stems works, but my garden is
basically sand, so I think the "cover dirt" would wash away with the first
good rain.
Speaking of pollinating & fertile flowers, I thought it was the female
flowers that had mini-squash stems, but it's true that squash bear many more
flowers than will turn into fruit.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Justin Henry" wrote in message
.net...
I noticed that large chunks of my summer crookneck squash plants were

dying
because their stems seemed to have been shredded by some pest. Reading

says
that it's stem borers laying their eggs in there. Anyone have experience
with this? Suggested cure is to pile more soil around lowest part of the
stems to about 6".

Also, does anyone know how I can increase the fertilization percentage?

I've
had about 100 flowers that have amounted to nothing and only a few actual
veggies come from these plants. Quite disappointing, considering their
amazing growth rate.

-Justin