Old 18-07-2003, 12:02 AM
R.L. McCarty

Default BST MILK and Ordinary MILK Indistinquishable? Not Really.

James Curts wrote:

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Oz" wrote in message
Hua Kul writes

A solution is to have one's beef
ground at the point of sale and use it soon after. Or do as I did,
purchase a meat grinder and do it at home.

Interesting, and a good point.

Yes, and one worth making. We have minced beef from our own bullock, but

it
is minced by our butcher and I then either make burgers or bag the mince
into 1lb packs before sticking it straight into the freezer. So he minces
the animal at 3pm and by 8pm it is in the freezer.

Jim Webster

This ground burger issue is one I have taken up with various shops and
especially in the retail chain store arena. This is generally precipitated
by taking questionable burger back to the meat market and confronting them
with bad smelling (rotting) meat with the date on the package. This is a
high volume meat product and yet is treated with much disdain by those
producing it. The time some of it is left uncooled is critical and often old
burger is mixed in with new.

We too, buy from a source which grinds and packages right before us and we
do well. It is straight from the cooler to grinder and into a package and in
minutes is in our cooler/freezer.

A chain of buffet/dinner establishments in the Portland and Seattle area
were put out of business by recurring e-coli outbreaks which were traced to
their food. I believe it was in the milk and meat products. I always
suspected a disgruntled employee contributed to the issue but maybe just
happenstance.

James Curts

Try this on for size: Meat is aged on the avergae of 19 days nationwide if sold to stores. In their lockers a few more day pass by before cut and wrapped for sale. When it stands in the sales dispay and does NOT sell..then it ismade into huge rolls of "

hamburger" with fat added to allegedly "preserve" it better
up to 35% worth. In some stores the STENCH is enough to senf most folks
"hurling"!
And one wonders WHY we have so much food poisoning in our country! Yucko..B-0b1 u