Old 18-07-2003, 01:22 AM
andrea baker

Default What will grow well in containers in shade either now or next spring?

Hi folks,

I have a weird gardening space at my new place (where I moved in on
May 25).

Due to neighborhood rules that I don't really have the energy to
challenge, I'm only allowed to plant trees and shrubs and flowers in
my lawn (and I've put in 3 fruit trees and 4 raspberry plants
disguised as ornamental shrubs, ha!).

Veggie gardens in the lawn are a no-no; so therefore, to get around
the rules, I will have to plant my veggies in containers (I did plant
some pole beans on the south side of the house where I think I can
disguise them as some sort of vine, hee hee, and also managed to sneak
some basil in with the flowers that were already growing next to the
house, but I don't want to push my luck by being too obvious about
growing veggies where I'm not supposed to).

The place I have for containers is the front porch/deck. It is on the
east side of the house, and has a pine tree just to the north of it,
so there isn't a heck of a lot of sun there. So far, I have some
tomatoes in large pots (I've used the pots that the trees came in).

It's July 17 now, so pretty much too late to plant anything, I think,
unless someone can give me some good ideas.

What do you suggest I grow there now?

And what do you suggest I grow there next spring?

Thank you in advance,

Andrea Baker