Old 18-07-2003, 03:33 AM
Steve Coyle

Default A grass question

In regards to this snippet

The UT Life Science Library... anyone with a Texas public library card
can get a "Texshare" card and borrow books from the LSL's 200,000
volumes. Built during the 1930's, done in marble and ornately carved
wood, it's the most beautiful space I've ever seen on the UT campus.
Make sure you ride the stacks elevator. Look here..
http://www.utexas.edu/tours/mainbuil...ry/index.html.

That was a fun site to see, take a close look at the 'stacks'
photos. I used to take my daughter there when she was little to dig up
stuff we couldn't find at the main library. The 'stacks' were a
little claustraphobic and used to give her the willies. I always liked
the dusty cramped quality because it kept you focused on the reading
material, unlike the big expanses of glass at the undergraduate
library where everyone sits and stares out the windows.
For folks interested on how architecture influences behaviour, my
favorite 'worst space' nomination on the UT campus would be the RLM
building , on the street formely known as 26th. ( math, astronomy etc
). It was designed to have little seating in the halls or lobby to
steer students towards the library. Instead at any given time, you can
see students squeezed under the escalators trying to finish their
homework or sprawled out in the halls like folks waiting out an air
raid drill.
Also on the UT campus, check out the dearth of North facing Main
entrances to the buildings.
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com