Old 18-07-2003, 03:42 AM
SugarChile

Default Bare root asian pear fruiting in first year

Yes, they need another Asian for pollination--some are better than
others--but a Bartlett will also work. I think that one of the
nurseries--possibly Miller's--has one where they've grafted several
varieties on one trunk. Those trees are sometimes just a mess, but perhaps
in this case they are not. At any rate, the Asians are smallish trees, so
it's worthwhile finding a spot for more!

Cheers,
Sue

--

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I planted one next to a regular pear. It bloomed, the other died and was
replaced. However, the Asian pear that bloomed didn't produce any fruit.

was told they needed to cross-pollinate with another pear, but had hoped I
could accidentally get some anyway, but no luck. Maybe next year. Dwayne