Old 18-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Jim Webster

Default Sustainability in 3rd world agriculture

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

But let us look at it rationally.
1) there isn't a lot of point of them trying to do anything agricultural
because even if they get the land right and yields up they are still just
subsistance peasants producing commodity product. I cannot imagine there
being a market for Tajik grain beer or melons.

It's cotton. Takes all the essential irrigation water, trashes the
environment. Ex-soviet megafarms, apparently.

I've seen the Aral sea from the air:-((

2) I would suspect that educational level/literacy is pretty good

I don't know, but I suspect not.

I have been to Uzebeckistan when it was still soviet and they had pretty
good levels of education, but I don't know whether this was general

so they
would happily train up to work in pretty well any industry. At the moment
they would doubtless undercut pretty well most other labour pools.

No, because it's a full time job getting water, firewood and basic
foods.

That is what you have to break away from. The grinding poverty which doesn't
actually give you time to get away from your grinding poverty

Jim Webster