Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM
yelohk

Default Shrimp Care

Sounds like a neat tank. Wish I could keep a natural tank, but I'm not
big on the plastic bags, beer cans, algae-infested garbagy look. Plus
the frogs are kinda loud.

Matt Hanson wrote:
Nitrates are also deadly for a shrimp. (not just nitrite)

I have a lot of freshwater shrimp. Living in Florida, I usually collect
mine from the canals. I've never really done anything out of the ordinary
for them. My tank is set up to (for the most part) mimic their natural
environment. Sand bottom, plants collected from the canals, fish
collected from same canals, (sailfin mollies, American flagfish, and
various others) and that's just about it. Making sure the water is in
balance, and the plants are growing, I usually don't even do a trim on
dead plants - the shrimp devour dead leaves. Additionally, they are
thriving and breeding - except for the time that I killed almost all of
them with too much CO2 - gotta watch out for that.

James Ervin wrote:

What do those of you keeping shrimp do for them other than be sure the
kH and gH are above the low end? I have heard mention of adding
iodine or other supplements. I want to add some shrimp, but want them
to thrive.

--

direct replies: yelohk AT yahoo