Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM
news.so-net.com.hk

Default Medicating planted tank

Hi,

Melafix sucks, other than making the water smell good.

I dunno if it applies to planted tank, but in normal circumstances, I would
isolate the affected fish, salt bath them for a little while. Do a daily
water change, add in a pinch of salt and methylene blue. You will be able to
stop the fin rot in less than 7 days. Quarantine them for a longer while
before letting them into the community tank again.

In these period, do look out for other signs and symptoms for white spots,
fin rot, externel parasite and velvet. Treat accordingly...

hope im right
Vincent

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
Some of the fish in my heavily planted tank are showing signs of fin
rot, and a couple of them are 'glancing' off objects in the tank.
Aside from the fin rot, I don't see any external signs of disease (no
white spots, film, or obvious parasites).

The fish in the tank a
Peacock Gudgeon (9)
Fundulopanchax Scheeli (3)
Betta Splendens (1)
Otocinclus Catfish (6)
Leopard Danio (4)

In addition to the fish and plants, I have a half dozen or so ghost
shrimp, and countless snails, mostly MTS.

I've been using Melafix, but I have the impression it's more for
treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

What medication could I try that won't hurt the plants or the inverts?

Thanks in advance.

--
www.ericschreiber.com