Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM

Default green water HELP

(cindy) wrote in message
Tried UV sterilizer (at the suggestion of Jim at The Bug Farm whom I
had called to buy more Daphnia - THANK YOU JIM!). Worked like a
charm. My tank has never looked better. I bought a small 8 watt
sterilizer (for a 38 gallon tank). Perfect.

Good luck! Cindy

Big Al's online sells a CSL 9w for around 62.99. Not a bad price.
Diatoms do work well and typically take care of the issue. Most Diatom
filters cost more than this. HOT magnums with a micron cartiage are
about the cheapest method of polishing.

Folks with presistent GW problems often need more biofiltration if it
keeps coming back, need to add NO3 or more CO2. These folks often have
higher light PC lighting. If disturb the tank good, do a water change
after.
I've loaned out UV's to folks and the GW still came back even if they
ran it for a week.

GW appearence is not some mysterious unknown occurance. In every case
it related back to high light + NH4. If the NH4 level exceeded the
uptake of the plants, you get GW. If the bacteria also cannot cope
with the NH4 influx/variations, then the leftover NH4 induces GW at
high light.
This is how I culture GW.

Lower light tanks such as 2w/gal using regular NO FL lights seldom if
ever got GW.

I never once had GW till I had high light PC's. Even then, I needed to
induce it with NH4. Well growing plants normally remove any traces of
NH4.

I've added everything except NH4, to a tank, NO3, PO4, high PC light,
traces etc and have never been able to induce GW. I stop adding CO2 or
add NH4 etc, I'll get GW. Once you get it, it hangs on for dear life.

You can try the above approaches, but the UV method is one of the
better/best methods for those with persisent GW issues. Cost and other
concerns play a role in your choices. Blackout works well and doesn't
cost a dime. But if that doesn't work for you, try the next step up.

You have time. GW doesn't hurt plants at all. This is one reason why I
use it. Easy to induce and get rid of. It does drive folks nutty
though.

Regards,
Tom Barr