Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
LeighMo

Default Plants for coldwater tank?

Wow, I just visited your web site - fascinating! The more I see
planted tanks the more I get interested in them (I'm also a gardener).
Now I am thinking of getting a better lighting system. I should have
gone for the more expensive setup when I bought the tank a few months
ago... This aquarium "hobby" sure is addictive and expensive!

Tell me about it! Cocaine would be cheaper.

I'm also thinking about changing the substrate. The goldfish people
are all raving about sand but I'm going to look at the other
possibilities too.

Goldfish people like sand because it's fine enough that it can't get stuck in
the goldfishes' mouths. Fine substrates are also good for plants, but they
aren't the only choice.

Should I be fertilizing my plants? I haven't done it so far.

With your lighting levels, you probably don't need to fertilize. Water changes
and fish food will provide enough nutrients. Frankly, I don't think the plants
you have will survive in such low lighting. And without adequate light,
fertilizer is a waste of money. There are plants that will grow in a low light
tank like yours, but you have to do your research and choose carefully. Most
of the plants sold in fish stores are either bog plants, or need more light
than the average tank can provide. They won't survive for more than a couple
of months after you take them home. (Some pet stores will even telll you that
they are "annuals" that are supposed to die regularly and be replaced!)

The plants you currently have may do better in your 10 gallon tank. Ten gallon
tanks have more watts per gallon than the average larger tank, and their short
height means the light is close to the plants. For your 25 gallon, look for
java fern, Bolbitis (African fern), and Anubias, as well as the mosses already
suggested. Cladophora "algae balls" will also do well in low light, and are a
cool novelty plant. (And don't worry, they won't take over the tank.)

Leigh