Old 26-01-2003, 01:49 AM
Lee Hall

Default Commie tomatoes

Bill Bolle wrote in message ...
Stupice is great! It's a small tomato, a little over 1 inch, but puts
out like "gang busters". The flavor is a little more tart than cherry
tomatoes but it's great for eating out of hand while puttering around in
the patch. This year I'll be trying the "Black Krim" and "Druzba", I
like tomatoes that are not as sweet as most of today's varieties.
Bill (Oklahoma)

I grew Black Krim in 2000 and 2001 and Druzba in 2002. The Black Krim
were much larger than I expected, a decent beefsteak size. They were
tasty but a bit unusual if you aren't used to black tomatoes. The
plant was huge but had a tendency toward leaf curl. The Druzba
produced nice medium large red tomatoes with a nice tangy taste. The
Black Krim was much more productive. I was happy just to know the
Russky varieties will grow in the Tennessee heat.

zxcvbob wrote:

Has anyone tried any of the tomato varieties from Russian and NE
Europe? There's a couple of 50 day tomatoes in one of my catalogs that
look intriguing, but I wonder how they taste? "Siberia" and "Stupice".
Has anyone ever tried them?

Regards,
Bob, in Minnesota