Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
LeighMo

Default Upgrading my lighting

Is there a big difference with the compact flourescent? The bulbs seem
to cost about twice as much as the regular ones.

I think the big difference with compact flourescents is that they are, well,
compact. g A long tube is bent in half so that it fits in half the space,
letting you get a lot more light over a smaller tank than would be possible
with ordinary straight flourescents.

One thing that people like about the AH Supply kits is that they have great
reflectors. That makes a big difference. I don't recommend the All-Glass
compact flourescents. The reflector is lousy, just a flat piece of metal.
Good reflectors have a parabolic or "barn roof" shape, to focus the light
downward.

The one that comes
with the 55 watt setup is 9325 degrees K which seems pretty blue to me
(I'm a photographer).

You can buy all different colors of bulbs. Most planted tank keepers prefer
bulbs in the 5000K-6500K range.

I have an All-Glass PCF with a 9325 bulb, and I find it looks really pink for
some reason. I didn't like it at first, but it's kind of grown on me. It does
give the red fish a nice warmth.

Oh, and my rosy
red minnow's eggs hatched so I now have about 50 teeny tiny babies
swimming around in a 1 gal tank.

Congratulations on the blessed event! :-D

Leigh