Old 18-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Courgette Catastrophe

"andrewpreece" wrote in
:

My first attempt at growing courgettes ( in the greenhouse ) is going
badly wrong. There is a little bit of white mould on the leaves,
though nothing too serious, but every time a courgette gets going, the
flower end goes yellow, then brown and soft, then rot proceeds back
towards the base, the courgette eventually ending up as a soggy rotten
blob covered in grey mould. Is there an effective cure?

I had this problem when growing Physalis.

As Alan says, the longterm answer for courgettes is probably grow them
outside as they are quite tough. I didn't have that option for my Physalis
though. If you can't move the plants outside, something you could try to
save this year's crop is what I did:

- open all the doors and windows to improve ventilation
- cut back some of the foliage to allow the air to move
- water a bit less often so the green house isn't so steamy
- pick off any affected flowers or leaves as soon as they seem to be
developing a problem.

Worked for me.

Victoria