Old 18-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Matthew Montchalin

Default anise or fennel?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Pat Meadows wrote:
|Finally, I have heard some people tell me that "Italian" parsley
|does not taste like 'regular' parsley, but has a different taste
|altogether. Is it similar to cilanthro (which to me has a tangy,
|metallic sort of flavor) or something else altogether?
|
|I don't think so. I grow cilantro, flat-leaf (Italian
|parsley) and curly (regular) parsley.
|
|I think the Italian parsley tastes pretty much like the
|'regular' parsley, but milder, less strong - you could say
|'a more delicate taste'.

|I certainly don't think it (Italian parsley) tastes anything
|at all like cilantro. No way.
|
|But tastes are tricky, you know, and I'm convinced that what
|*I* taste may not be the same as what *you* taste. Very
|individual things, tastes.

And while we are on the subject, if cilanthro and parsley are
two different species, has anyone done any genetic engineering
yet to cross the two? Bypassing Darwin and Mendel, it must
be possible to create a hybrid between these two species... ?