Old 18-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Rusty Mase

Default Where to buy a LARGE Live Oak?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:36:43 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Let me ask you this; if our trees have numbered tree tags on them, does this
mean they are registered somewhere? If so, where.

Site development permits submitted to the City of Austin have to
include a tree survey. Usually these are for trees 8" diameter or
more and include a map and a list of trees. The numbers attached to
the trees are used in locating trees on the map, etc..

These are on file with the City but I have never looked one up before
so I do not know where they keep them. I have prepared several but
usually they are prepared by land survey companies. Surveyors know
little about trees though and you can get some really strange species
of trees. One I remember was "Mountain Blue Ash" and I have no idea
where they dug that name up as it was just a Texas Ash when I located
it on the tract. Pretty name though.

These surveys are a way to calculate tree losses due to a proposed
development. Also trees greater than 19" diameter must be handled
differently. You need a separate permit to take down one of these.

Rusty Mase