Old 18-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Frogleg

Default Wanted: Reviews of mosquito trapping devices

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:00:10 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I have seen many brands of mosquito trapping devices (such as Mosquito
Magnet) this year. The devices cost several hundred to over a thousand
dollars. The common response I hear from dozens of people I've asked about
it (who do not own one) is: It's expensive, but if it worked it would be
worth it.

This is 'Mosquito Week' on one local TV station. The weathercritter
has been presenting 'facts' each day. One is that mosquitoes rarely
travel more than a mile (from their homes?). Around here (SE VA,
yclept 'Tidewater'), the public service messages urge preventing
mosquito breeding by removing sources of standing water. If they,
indeed, only fly a mile, a determined effort to eliminate breeding
sites should be fairly effective. Maybe Minnesota mosquitoes have
different habits.

Another point is that (here) the critters are most active around dawn
and dusk. I can verify that from personal experience. So a late
afternoon/early evening outdoor activity is likely to be the *worst*
time for people.

I have no clue about mosquito magnets. One point that has been brought
up about Japanese beetle pheromone 'traps' was that they did indeed
trap the bugs, but also drew more bugs *to* the traps and surrounding
area. 6 of one; half-dozen of another.