Old 18-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Default What will grow well in containers in shade either now or next spring?

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. These seemingly arbitrary rules
for others homes just boggle my mind at times. We had a man in a
nearbly city who was order to yank out his rosebushes because the
homeowners assoc. deemed them unattractive in the winter. sigh.

But to your problem:

Lettuces, spinach, peas have done well in pots in my yard in areas with
less shade. I do a lot of herb but most of them seem to prefer lots of
light, the only ones I can think of off hand that would do well in shade
would be mints or parsley.

A few years back we rented a house. The owners were nice about letting
us plant whatever, but the front yard was situated better for a garden
and I didn't want to upset the neighbors or the owner by planting a farm
out front. I did find a few things that worked for both. I edged the
flower bed with alpine strawberries. These are dantier looking plants
like an ornamental strawberry; it has no runners and has the bonus of
delicious tiny berries. Here in my area of CA, sage is planted a lot as
an ornamental plant and has lovely spikes of flowers - plant the
culinary kinds and you will have a pretty bush that has edible leaves.
Scented geraniums are also nice. I see rosemary pruned up into hedges
or trailing over retaining walls in many places, maybe some of that
could be incorporated into the garden? Thyme looks nice creeping around
rocks in the garden. I have seen blueberries used as ornamental shrubs
as well.

good luck in your quest to balance the rules with your desire to garden
edible plants.

marcella

In article ,
(andrea baker) wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a weird gardening space at my new place (where I moved in on
May 25).

Due to neighborhood rules that I don't really have the energy to
challenge, I'm only allowed to plant trees and shrubs and flowers in
my lawn (and I've put in 3 fruit trees and 4 raspberry plants
disguised as ornamental shrubs, ha!).

Veggie gardens in the lawn are a no-no; so therefore, to get around
the rules, I will have to plant my veggies in containers (I did plant
some pole beans on the south side of the house where I think I can
disguise them as some sort of vine, hee hee, and also managed to sneak
some basil in with the flowers that were already growing next to the
house, but I don't want to push my luck by being too obvious about
growing veggies where I'm not supposed to).

The place I have for containers is the front porch/deck. It is on the
east side of the house, and has a pine tree just to the north of it,
so there isn't a heck of a lot of sun there. So far, I have some
tomatoes in large pots (I've used the pots that the trees came in).

It's July 17 now, so pretty much too late to plant anything, I think,
unless someone can give me some good ideas.

What do you suggest I grow there now?

And what do you suggest I grow there next spring?

Thank you in advance,

Andrea Baker