Old 18-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Dumb Cambium Layer Question

Do bonsai (or trees) with muscular trunks (e.g., American hornbeam) have
less likelihood of transporting nutrients laterally? It appears that their
roots lead to feeding the branches directly above them with a large root
usually leading to a correspondingly vigorous branch. This might be mere
coincidence, but it seems the roots and branches are related in directional
growth based on their radial location.

I can see that a sacrifice back branch would have little purpose if it only
drew nurtrients & created adding wood directly underneath it & behind the
tree's profile.

The original question for this thread (I think) asked if it was okay in a
styling session to cut a branch both above and below if the cuts didn't meet
though they would overlap in-depth. I think the branch will die beyond the
second cut no matter how far apart the cuts are placed, but other
respondents seem to think otherwise. I either don't understand the question
or need to broaden my knowledge-- probably both... :-)

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --